Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Solid but Different Beginning – Part Two

I guess that, now that I have been waiting for weeks to post progress, I can’t wait to get to my blog. So, here goes. The construction of the stone base had to be put on hold because of a prior commitment of three weeks’ work for Teodoro. But once he was back on the job, things progressed at a steady and satisfactory pace, especially since he now had help from his nephew Uriel. Uriel might be short in stature and only 15 years old, but what a dedicated worker! His job consisted of mixing cement or concrete as the job required. He also brought cement blocks to his uncle and stones, as well. When the water tank or the drum needed to be refilled with water, he’d string together 3 hoses and got water right across the road from a neighbour’s tap. Her lot has not yet been built upon so our arrangement is that I’ll get the water bill and pay it directly to the Water Commission. The arrangements for water and electricity are worth a post in themselves; later.

As to specs, my water tank holds only 1,200 litres, or some 318 gallons. Not enough to give a steady supply of water for the cement required for the job, hence an extra drum. OK. Now here’s how the erection of my barda or fence is going. The hardest and longest part was the building of the stone base. Every 3 metres, a hole had to be left for the upcoming armed columns, called here castillos. Here’s what it looked like.

PICT0002 PICT0003

A single hole for the castillo on the left. The stone base on the west side. The red cap is over the connection from the RV to the septic tank and is reserved for dumping sewage only. The grey water I simply let drop upon a base of gravel.

Now to Part Two. Once the stone base was completed, a cadena (translation = buttress), was put in place. It consisted of Armex (don’t ask me to translate that one, I haven’t a clue other than castillo, just look at the photos, please), over which concrete would be poured into a form. Here’s what it looked like. The cadena is an armed base connecting each column, also equipped with an Armex, also destined to be made of poured concrete. Photos to come on the next post.

PICT0006

 

 

PICT0004

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PICT0005

The upper left photo shows the west side where my neighbour has a conglomeration of “stuff” that I will be happy to no longer see behind my barda. The upper right shows the Armex and form ready for concrete to be poured in. Bottom left is a finished portion of the cadena.

 

Here’s Uriel at the job. PICT0007

He uses a bucket to fill up the wheelbarrow left stationary next to wherever Teodoro is working. He might look slight, but make no mistake about his strength and endurance.

Did I mention that EVERYTHING is done by hand?

 

Guess I’ll have to go to Part Three for the next update.

No comments:

Custom Search