Monday, April 18, 2011

Coming Back Home

While I was preparing for my trip back to Calgary, I had a feeling that something bad was going to happen. More particularly, I feared that my dogs would have a hard time adjusting to sporadic visits to provide food and would manage to escape. Although I had trained them to sleep through the whole night, I was afraid that one or more would have ‘accidents’. That would not have been fair to Lupe. I felt anxious to have the trip over and done with.

Now I realize that the premonition had nothing to do with the dogs. First, the flight from Mexico to Vancouver was delayed by more than an hour. I had caught an early bus to Mexico City and had checked my luggage upon arrival. Which gave any potential robber more than 3 hours to check for goodies. I had been under such tension preparing for the trip and my dogs with Lupe and the million things that one thinks of a few days before a long trip that I innocently put my jewellery in my checked luggage. I should say ‘idiotically’ rather than innocently. The loss is mine.

I had a list of things to do in Calgary and at least all that I had planned got done, despite the weather. The return flights were without incident. I was awfully short of time arriving in Mexico City to make it in time to Terminal del Norte to catch the last bus to Tequis but made it with only minutes to spare. Lupe had offered to pick me up upon arrival in Tequis which was some time after midnight. Finally I’d made it!

Here, I simply cannot describe the joy, the ecstatic jumping up of my dogs when I came home.  After the initial excitement, they wouldn’t leave my side. Forget about unpacking! I had removed my single mattress from the wooden base integral to the RV before leaving; Lupe helped me get it back and told me that Queenie would not sleep on her customary blanket over the dog couch. So she’d transferred her blanket to the platform and there slept Queenie the whole time that I was away. It was evident that they had missed me. As I had them.

They had all lost a bit of weight, particularly Tasha who couldn’t really afford to lose anything. All is in order now that mom’s home. I’ve been very busy getting the routine back to normal and I can say with immense relief, IT’S GOOD TO BE HOME!

LiveJournal Tags:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are back with your babies. It is good to know you all are happy and well.
Virago

Barb said...

Yes, it's sooo good to get home. Especially when you've left pets at home. I always feel so guilty when I leave them. Of course they don't know what's happening, and they miss you. Your dogs must be so relieved that you made it back to them. Life is good again! :)

Stargazer said...

The hardest part in leaving is that you can't explain to them that you'll be back. For them, it must be incomprehensible. I can only imagine their confusion and pain, but I know that both afflict their generous hearts. This is why, despite my extreme tiredness, I could not fall asleep for hours the night I arrived. I was equally elated to be back with them and it kept me awake. And happy.

Custom Search