Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Telcel, Skype, and Construction

About a month ago, my connecting by phone from my computer was… scrambled… by Telcel to prevent Skype users from communicating. Today, I read that Carlos Slim is being fined for $1 B and frankly, I hope he gets rapped really hard for making it so expensive and now, for messing us up so that we can no longer use Skype.
I signed up with Telcel more than a year ago and activated my Skype account for use on 3G network, this to continue speaking to family and friends in Canada and the U.S. Up to a month ago, no problem. Then no conversation could not be heard at either end. I contacted Skype thinking that they were the culprit. Today, I learned from Jimena that she has the same problem. And I’ll bet that any Telcel user who is also, or was using Skype can no longer communicate. @!#%*&!!
When I went to Calgary and spoke to my granddaughter’s husband who has a degree in Computer Science about it, he had an immediate reaction. The 3G broadband connection had been interfered with by Telcel to prevent its users from using Skype. I’ve been busy on the internet attempting to get resolution, without any success. I’ll keep at it, though, because I’m determined to have access to a service for which I have a contract and that I have been using for well over a year.
Things are looking up to begin construction of my little house this month. Pete, Jimena’s husband, built a huge fantastic house and had A-One workers. He’s lending them to me for a week a month for now, more later. I hope that they accept to work on my small lot, on my small house-to-be. Now, I’m doing some more running around to find out about permits, whether an architect’s plan is required, bureaucratic red tape require, etc.
I’ll keep you all informed, on Skype/Telcel, and on building.
LiveJournal Tags: ,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stargazer:
Will you be taking possible future mobility issues into consideration in your house design? For instance: roll-in shower, counter height, door width, etc.?
Virago

Anonymous said...

I live in Guaymas, Mexico. Two days ago Telcel did it here, and Skype sounds unintelligible. It's my guess that the way their doin this is by drastically throttling down the speed of packets sent to and from the Skype network. This would cause the effect we're noting. Note that if you call the Skype Test Service everything will sound okay for about one second - and then it'll happen. It only happens with Skype, so the system is probably recognizing ip addresses. Skype is not blocked on the wired DSL service, only the 3G service.

Anonymous said...

I live in Guaymas, Mexico. Two days ago Telcel did it here, and Skype sounds unintelligible. It's my guess that the way they're doing this is by drastically throttling down the speed of packets sent to and from the Skype network. This would cause the effect we're noting. Note that if you call the Skype Testing Service everything will sound okay for about one second - and then it'll happen. It only happens with Skype, so the system is probably recognizing ip addresses. Skype is not blocked on the wired DSL service, only the 3G service.

Anonymous said...

You can get around Skype telcel issue by using VPN service.

Custom Search