Thursday, February 9, 2012

Things Turning Around

Every day follows another, but similar they are not. I suppose it was obvious that I was in a slump. Still waiting for a decent quotation for the electricity installation, I kept money toward that end. But nothing panned out. And then life happened…

My neighbours went to the Presidencia, equivalent to Town Hall, to ask for help with that issue. They had a couple of names of electrical engineers and requested quotations, taking into account that the Presidencia would take an active part moneywise –it was hoped. What resulted from this over the past weeks was that the assumption that the installation amounting more or less to public works instead of one restricted to the actual 8 families in need of it, the quotation was for $750,000 pesos, the equivalent of a large city block public works!!!! Another engineer came up with a lower quote, but way out of proportion to what we needed.

My friend Yvonne had the name of an engineer in QuerĂ©taro and I called him today to ask him if he could come to inspect what was required. He’s coming next week. We’ll see.

Then, my problems with using the computer were linked to very much used batteries. Two days ago when I wanted to start the RV engine, that one also gave up the ghost. So my quintos went for 3 new batteries, two regular 12 V for the house, one for the RV engine. Deep cycle batteries are not available here. The electrician Diego very obligingly drove us to Tequis and did the installation. The new batteries should be good for about one year. Diego will take over the electrical and plumbing responsibilities for my casita.

When my neighbours Gabriel and Reyna came yesterday to tell me about the non-results at the Presidencia, they offered that we share their workers, one mason and his helper. Their house is almost finished but they still have to build a large fence around the lot. They want to save so as to be able to afford the electrical installation. The rates for their workers are much lower (for outstanding work, I must add) which would allow me to have them work two weeks per month. Did I jump at the chance? You bet your sweet petunias!

FINALLY I CAN ENVISAGE HAVING MY HOUSE FOR NEXT WINTER!!!!

… or at least partially habitable.

At this point, I’ll put the electrical job on the back burner for as long as I can. It feels as if a light had suddenly appeared at the end of the proverbial tunnel. Restricting the construction to one week a month, all that I could afford, felt like a wall of lead had come between my project and its realization. It weighed hard and heavy upon my shoulders and I ended up doubting the wisdom of my past decisions. Today is so much better than the days of the past 5 to 6 weeks and my gratitude for this unexpected turn of events is immense.

We have had much rain since last weekend, moisture that the parched earth gobbled up avidly. Little shoots are valiantly raising tiny heads through the drab yellow desiccated stalks. All vegetation seems revived, as am I.

1 comment:

Pleinguy said...

Well, it sounds like the electricity issue is a dilemma. Here in the states, "on the other side", the power companies usually share the cost of extending the lines; prudent investment for them to obtain new permanent customers.

Have you considered solar panels? I expect it would be far less than the proposed power lines.

It will be nice if you can use some of your resources to get your casita closer to finish. Best of luck!

Custom Search