Thursday, April 23, 2009

Snowbirding Anyone?

It's hard to believe that it's been only 9 days since I left the Southwest where the temperatures were in the high 80's during the day followed by cool nights that made sleep so comfortable. Then the Utah elevations inevitably happened. Three snowfalls, one fully qualifying as a snowstorm, followed me almost halfway through the state. All on the same day. Montana was brrrr cold and the Monida Pass was icily white. Finally I got to Lethbridge, Alberta where the thermometer was a glorious 77 degrees (that would be 25 Celsius but I like 77 better). I was doubly relieved when a friend from Utah told me that I had escaped a serious snowfall of some 8 inches in Provo. Was I happy to be out of the white stuff.

Then last night, a torrential rain was followed by wind and, yes, you've guessed it, SNOW! By morning, icicles more than a foot long (it's even worse in metric...30 cm) were hanging in front of my windshield and my RV was covered with ice. In some places as thick as three inches, please don't ask me to go metric here! As I write this, I'm huddling in my RV with a measly 23 degrees temperature knocking at my door (that would be minus 5 degrees Celsius). I'm told that we're to lose some of those degrees. How can we lose degrees we don't even have? Another snowfall is predicted through the weekend. What now, am I a magnet for the white stuff?

Guess this adds a new meaning to the term snowbird! Perhaps it should read the other way around, bird followed by snow, no matter where the bird ends up.

No comments:

Custom Search