Thursday, March 10, 2011

Quickie Update on Tisha

My little one is rapidly filling out where it matters most, which is about everywhere. I don’t know if anyone has noticed but on the photo of her lying down, the hind quarters show much emptiness save for bones. Today, a mere six days of 5 small meals a day, her thighs that had been devoid of anything other than bones show a growth of about a centimeter of muscle. Not hard, but solid enough. I know that what ends up happening during extreme starvation is that the body cannibalizes itself. It did hers. I can’t express how thrilled I am to see her much improved.

Her grossly enlarged tummy looks normal now that she’s rid of parasites. I’m afraid that she will feel the psychological effects of her dismal start in life by always wanting more food, even when filled. She becomes frantic whenever any odour of food reaches her sensitive nose.

Her front legs and paws are showing much improvement and growth. Her degree of emaciation did not really appear on the photos because of her puppy woolly down. It hid her true state. But on palpating her paws and back it was achingly obvious. I was so shocked by her condition that I cried every time I held her for the first few days. It broke my heart to witness how such a tiny creature could have faced such hardship. Thankfully, it’s definitely over now!

LiveJournal Tags: ,

3 comments:

cruzin2some said...

Thanks for keeping us posted on her condition. We are so glad to hear she is doing well. She is the sweetest little thing.

Travel Safe
Dawn and Denise

Barb said...

I'm so glad she made it. Thank goodness you found her when you did. Poor thing. I hope you are wrong about her always remembering what she went through. I hope she is able to forget, and remember the love she received from you instead. Please post a photo when you get a chance. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Stargazer!
I just checked in on your blog in hopes you had changed your mind! I was too sad for for words before. Thank you. Thank you. Your new puppy is precious. That is how we acquired most of our little family. My husband and I always say this is the last one, we can't afford anymore, but we always do. Thank you again. You have made my day!
Virago

Custom Search